WPS is an abbreviation for “Wi-Fi protected setup,” allowing you to connect two or more devices without using a physical connection. Because of technological advancements, things have gotten relatively simple in today’s modern digital era. Similarly, new printers enable printing your papers via a wireless connection utilizing WPS.
You’re most likely to encounter the WPS Pin when dealing with a router or HP printer. Building a connection between your HP printer and a computer necessitates using the printer’s WPS pin.
But, before we go into identifying the WPS pin and connecting it, let’s first define what the WPS pin is.
What is a WPS pin?
The WPS PIN is an 8-digit unique code that will wirelessly connect the devices and the HP printer or router. This is a one-of-a-kind code created each time you attempt to connect. This WPS PIN can be found on your HP printer and your router.
The default WPS PIN can be found on the back of your router and can be modified afterward.
WPS technology, introduced in 2006, enables a high-security network of device connections. Initially, it was used for Wi-Fi routers for security purposes to prevent other users from using their home Wi-Fi connection.
Later on, individuals began to use it in HP printers to connect the printer to a device remotely.
WPS Pin on Router/Wifi
Most routers or wifi come with a WPS pin. WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) on a router is a standard created by the Wi-Fi Alliance and allows you to set up a wireless network easily and securely. You can use it to connect a TV, Blu-ray Disc player, or another Internet-enabled device to a network wirelessly.
The WPS pin is often set up via the WPS button. You should, however, know that different manufacturers have different names for the WPS button including:
- Push ‘n’ Connect
- Quick Secure Setup (QSS)
- Wi-Fi Simple Config
What happens when you press the WPS button on the router?
Pressing the WPS button on your router will simply turn on the discovery of new devices for connection. The button was made to simplify the device and router connection process. After pressing the button, you have to go to your device and select your preferred network to connect to. Your device will then automatically be connected to the wireless network without entering the network password.
It’s advisable that you turn off the WPS button once all your devices are connected to stop strangers from having access to your private network.
How to find Your WPS PIN code
To set up a connection, you’ll have to enter the WPS PIN (Personal Identification Number) code of the receiver into your wireless LAN router/access point to authenticate the connection between the devices.
- Go to Home using yoiur remote, select > Settings > Network Settings
- Select and click on > Internet Settings
- Select >Wireless. You should know that you cannot select Wireless if a LAN cable is connected to the receiver. You’ll have to disconnnect it to be able to do so.
- Select > Manual Registration.
- Select > WPS PIN. You’ll see a list of available SSIDs (access points).
- Select the network name (also known as SSID) you want.
- The PIN code (8 digits) of the receiver will appear on your TV screen. Leave the PIN code displayed until the connection is complete. Note that a different PIN code is displayed each time you perform this operation.
- Input the receiver’s PIN code into the wireless LAN router/access point. The receiver will start connecting to your prefered network. You can see the messages that appear on the TV screen for more details on the connection.
After the network settings are complete, the wifi signal (see sample image below) will light up on the display panel.
What is the location of the WPS pin on my printer?
Almost every current HP printers, such as the HP LaserJet, HP Envy 4520, and HP Officejet 4650, has a screen on the top that generates the WPS pin for your wireless connection with your device. Every time you connect your printer to a device, the printer creates a new WPS pin.
Some older HP printers, such as the HP DeskJet 2652 and HP DeskJet 2600, do not have a screen; therefore, retrieving the WPS pin code for such printers may be problematic. However, after reading the guide, you’ll have a solid understanding of how to obtain your WPS pin effortlessly.
What are the various types of WPS connections available for HP printers?
In general, there are two methods for establishing a connection between the computer and our wireless HP printer using the WPS technique. The WPS push button is one of them, while the WPS pin is the other. You can connect your device to your wireless printer using any of the ways listed above.
The WPS push button
It is used for HP printers that do not have a top-mounted screen.
The WPS Pin
It is intended for printers with a top-mounted screen.
How Do I Use a WPS Button or Pin to Connect My HP Printer?
The WPS button or pin can be used to connect your HP printer to a device. This is primarily accomplished through the Control Panel of your printing device. Specific prompts will walk you through the process of configuring your HP printer.
These instructions will assist you in knowing the WPS pin for your printing equipment. You can then connect your printer to another device by inputting it.
Scroll down to find two techniques for finding the WPS pin for your HP printer and connecting it to another device using the pin. You can use these approaches if you understand how to use them.
Method 1: Using the WPS Button to Connect a HP Printer
The WPS button enables you to connect your device to your HP printer. You can connect the two by going to your printer device’s Control Panel. You can change your wireless settings by tapping the Settings/Wireless button.
After that, locate and select the Wi-Fi Protected Setup option. This will be followed by looking at specific directions on the screen. When you are prompted to do so, press the WPS button. The procedure for connecting your device to your HP printer will take some time.
• To begin, navigate to your HP printer’s “Control Panel.”
• Select “Wireless” or “Settings” from the menu.
• You would now see a blinking blue light.
• Select the “Wi-Fi Protected Setup” option.
• Comply with the instructions on the screen.
• Select the “WPS Button” option.
• Your HP printer will prompt you to hit the “WPS” button on your wireless router.
• On the printer, press the “Continue” button.
• The link will be established right away. You can test this connection by sending print commands from your device.
Method 2: Using the WPS PIN to Connect a HP Printer
You’ll want to utilize the HP printer’s WPS pin after you’ve found it. It can be used to link your device to your printer. To complete this task, you can find the Wireless button on the printing machine’s Control Panel.
After that, you can choose Settings by selecting the Settings button. You can proceed to Wi-Fi Protected Setup from here. You can view the WPS PIN by following the on-screen instructions. You will be able to connect as soon as you insert this pin.
You can find the complete instructions for utilizing the WPS pin to connect to your HP printer here:
• Locate the “Control Panel” of your HP printer.
• Select “Wireless” from the menu.
• Select the “Settings” option.
• Select the “Wi-Fi Protected Setup” option.
• Comply with the directions displayed.
• The option “WPS PIN” will be visible, and it should be pressed. Your “WPS PIN” will be shown.
• Navigate to the “Wireless Access Point” or “Wireless Router” “Configuration Utility Tool”/”Software.”
• Enter the “WPS PIN.”
• Now, go to “All Programs.”
• Navigate to the “HP Printer” folder.
• Select the “Printer Setup and Software” option.
• Select “Connect a New Printer.”
The network printer driver is now being installed. Following that, your smartphone will be ready to use.
Several HP printer models support the WPS pin or button. You can use this to connect to your router and other devices. You may locate the Wi-Fi Protected Setup pin by going to your printer’s Control Panel, and the Settings can be found here.
You can read the instructions for determining the pin by visiting the Settings menu. Once you’ve obtained the pin, you can rapidly connect it to another device. We discussed these strategies in depth here.
We also attempted to address as many questions as possible to provide sufficient information regarding the HP printer’s WPS pin.